Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A light summer reading list

The scar under my eyebrow is still not healed, so there's still no pictures. (It significantly improved in health overnight though!) I made it through the shift last night! Someone decided to be a troll and play nothing but terrible 80's pop and that nearly drove me insane, so a friend and coworker offered to bring his iPod with some hipster tunes for tonight.

Instead, I'm going to introduce my personal reading list for the summer. You may note that these books have absolutely no correlation with each other - they were suggested to me by various people, and I have a very wide range in taste. And some of these were bought for a $1, I mean, come on.

1. Diary - Chuck Palahniuk
ooooh, I like this author. I've read Lullaby, Invisible Monsters, and erm, Fight Club's one of my favorite movies, does that count? I'd really like to start on this one first. Everything about Palahniuk's style is ingenious - his bizarre reality, strange characters, sickening plots. Not always an easy read, but an entertaining one no less. I have a couple other books from Palahniuk that I might add to the list... but this was the first I bought in order.

2. Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

It was suggested to me by my Brit Lit professor - he, along with other Spanish writers of the time, use a style of writing called "magical realism". I can't accurately define it other than an example: say for instance, the writer described a thief sneaking into a house "like a snake", the writer then uses "snake" when describing said thief, "the snake said..." I truly love that type of writing. She said it's a long read, but worth it all in the end.

3. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Would love to incorporate more classic literature into my reading - plus, it was a dollar. I've never read and Huxley.

4. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
I've heard various places this is a good book. Judge me with all your might, I quite enjoy some of Oprah's Book Selections. Again, another dollar buy.

There are a few more I have but are, how shall we say, less enthused about? These are the four I'd love to get started on soon - again, I'd love suggestions, and for those who are reading with me, let's read Palahniuk first! Email me if you'd like to be in a reading partner group with me.

Would anyone like a list of some of my other favorite books? I might do that to utilize my time away from the camera.

-h.

3 comments:

  1. Brave New World is one of the best books I've ever read, we read it in Brit Lit [my] sophmore year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever read anything by Kurt Vonnegut? Some of his stuff sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and if you like Diary, you might like Haunted. It shares some of the "mystery" and suffering aspects and it has some of the most disgusting things I've ever read. I can never look at a CPR dummy the same way again.

    ReplyDelete